It's amazing then that my personal experience contradicts some of the personal experience of the author of that site Matt. The pre-soaking beans (you simply can't use the long cooking times required to soften them for many recipes), banana in the fridge (they're not inedible, but they turn to shit, inside and out), simmer on a gas stove, cleaning a gas stove (because this has nothing to do with gas/electric but the design of the specific product).

A couple of the things on the site I'd never heard of as myths before and just sounded completely ridiculous that anyone wold even consider. Then there was the eggs thing. I think adding even milk to eggs for an omelet isn't a good idea. wink

Lastly, back on topic, the examples they give of alcohol in food, other than flaming are crap. I suppose you can toss some alcohol into a pot filled with another liquid, but why would you? At least not with anything other then wine. I didn't expect the alcohol to be "burned off" if you poured into a pot of stew or chili. It will however dilute. And since alcohol is typically measured by volume, the percentage weighed against the total volume of food/other liquid would be minuscule, especially when you're starting with something that's already a maximum of 14% ABV (most red wine).

The best use of wine is for deglazing, not dumping it into a large amount of other liquid. You're going to reduce the overall volume of liquid dramatically and perhaps finish it off with something else. I just deglazed a pan of onions, garlic, lobster tails and shrimp two nights ago (after removing the meat) and you would be able to taste the enhanced flavor added by the white wine, but you'd be mistaken if you thought it was alcohol. First because alcohol doesn't have flavor, and second because if there was any in there you'd probably need a decent lab to measure any at all. The contents of the pan were added to a much larger pot of risotto which had already been through close to a litre of chicken stock.

None of the examples on the site use anywhere close to the heat typically used when adding wine/alcohol to a pan. In other words, the examples are bunk, sorry.

Bitt, Coffee imparts a very distinct flavor to pretty much anything it's added to - there wouldn't really be a point in adding it if it didn't. What specific foodstuffs are you talking about though? It does give a roasty and more nutty flavor to chocolate, but it doesn't make it more cocoa-y.