Bruno, you can have your opinion. No matter what you say, the fact is I can still taste the alcohol in the dish.

And you're right, Dan, there are definitely foods that need to be made with alcohol. I'm not arguing that. I'm saying I usually don't like those foods because I can still taste that flavor and it's unappealing. There are certainly exceptions and some things I like. My wife and I make a great risotto with red wine (it ends up purple smile ).

Regardless of whether the actual alcohol burns off, the question is whether that means the taste of it goes with it. It doesn't. If it did, why bother cooking with it in the first place?

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Yeah, people don't believe me when I tell them I can taste coffee in things, either. "It just makes the chocolate more chocolatey" or some such nonsense. No, it makes everything, including other foods I'll eat later, taste like coffee.

I definitely agree with that. I hate coffee flavored chocolate. I hate coffee in general.

What I think I hate most about it is that coffee almost always smells fantastic to me in every step all the way up to the actual drinking of it. I love smelling the beans, I love the roasting, the grinding, and the entire preparation. But then when I actually take a sip it tastes terrible!

Edited by Dignan (17/02/2011 12:54)