Depends if it's fair-use, depends on the image in question and depends on the wishes/policies of the image copyright holder/owner.

It can be a grey area. Original artwork I always say absolutely no. Fairly generic product shots I usually say yes - especially when they are available from the manufacturer for promotional and press usage. But if I take my own photograph of my own Rio, I consider that original art. So see above.

Start by always hosting your own images. Next, when possible take your own photographs for things like auctions. Or use press-type prints that are intended for such purposes. Get permission whenever applicable. If you're looking for images for your own site and not auctions, then make sure anything you're going to use is allowed to be used - don't just lift stuff from someone else.

On my Mobile Matrix page I have used a combination of everything I suppose. First, I am using images to advertise/review each product and not for any commercial (or other) gain for myself. I obtained generic press-type product shots for each player shown. I also did some of my own photography. I worked all the images to fit with what I wanted to show. That included compositing my own photography with the press photos. I provide copyright and trademark information for the products at the bottom of the page. Within the page I link several times to the trademark owners of the products.

I also provide a note at the bottom stating that others are not permitted to use the images I have on my site. That always includes bandwidth theft, but even just lifting the images. If other people want similar images, they can go to the source like I did and then do their own work. Or they can contact me for permission. And since I'm a reasonable guy, they'd probably get it. And of course the same type of conditions apply to the text within my tables. I spent enough time on that, for no other reason than to just share information, but I don't want my work uncredited and/or lifted/reused.

And if you're reading here, you're already getting all sorts of free consulting. Just email me for permission before ever republishing elsewhere, anything I write here. hehe.

Bruno