EDIT- I would like to mention in regard of the poll discussion that 63.2% of all statistics are fictitious.
---------------------------------------

Say you buy a new Segway (you know, that 2-wheeled scooter- "Ginger"). Would it be against the law for you to build one for your use or your friend's use, if you figured out how? I don't think so.

What if you built it exactly the same with the same type parts? I still don't think so.

What if you got bored with it and sold it on ebay? It probably is, but I don't think it should be, and even if it is nobody would care.

What if you built several and started a business out of it? Yes, that would be illegal.

What if you built several and gave them away for free? I don't think it should be illegal. Patents are there to protect businesses. Say Microsoft invents some state of the art computer and patents it. Now say IBM figures out how to make it, too. IBM shouldn't be able to sell it; Microsoft beat them to it, but they should be able to use it for their own personal business use and use it in all of their DC's, stores, or whatever. The government can't/shouldn't stop you from learning and using "intellectual property". BUT, selling it is different. The government can't stop you from figuring out how to play a Red Hot Chili Pepper's song on your guitar. They can't stop you from playing it. They can't stop you from reproducing it in any way. They CAN stop you from selling it. Now keep in mind, patents/intellectual property isn't all that necessarry; it's only an incentive to promote development. Now if you haven't made the connection yet, all this can be related back to mp3's and piracy and etc.

Now, can you can you give it away for free, yet profit off of it indirectly, such as through advertising? Well think about this- All over the country, and I'm guessing all over the world, bands goto clubs/bars/whatnot and play unoriginal/copyrighted music (essentially giving it away for free) and profit off of it. I don't think that's wrong.

That's my analysis.

Edited by Yz33d (28/01/2002 20:36)