Have you ever noticed how something with a lighted keypad works? For example, the lighted keypad on a telephone.

I had been thinking along the same lines -- some milky translucent base, maybe with some other light-dispersing element in it (for some reason I have a memory of some glass microspheres used to bulk up epoxy in some applications...)

One thing that occurs to me, though, is that the lighting in some switches and keypads I have taken apart comes from just a little bulb (small, grain-of-wheat-type things, but non-directional) that more generally lights up the area behind the button.

I haven't lit up Brian's LEDs yet, but if they are like most I have seen, they are very directional and there will always be a limit to how much you can make them disperse, especially when they are pressed right up against the material they are illuminating.

Anyhow, yes, Brian, I got my kit and I look forward to illuminated buttons ragardless of how much more dispersed they may become. I appreciate your persistence on this and I will volunteer as guinea pig for whatever button mutations are yet to come!

Last-minute odd thought: Install the LEDs so they point back to the board, not out to the buttons. Purposefully inefficient, yes, but the LEDs would then be illuminating teh buttons/knob with reflected light. Would this even be feasible given the cramped circumstances? If it was, I would volunteer my unit for the experiment. (Of course, this may be pointless if the LEDs aren't directionally biased)...

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.