Interesting!

I didn't plan on telling anyone I'd done this, but since we're sharing... I did something similar.

I wanted the spacing between the three LEDs to be closer to "even". There's nothing wrong with Brian's knob-board (like I said, it's a tiny little work of art), but the three LEDs are not perfectly symmetrical around the shaft. As part of my experiments in trying to make the knob glow more diffuse, I decided I would mess with the placement of the LEDs.

So I did something totally insane, which happened to work really well.

I desoldered the entire knob-board and wired the components "loose" with tiny bits of wire. Then I placed them inside a piece of clear shrink-tubing and "wrapped" that tube around the shaft of the knob. Took me only three tries to get the wire lengths correct.

Then I colored the back side of the clear shrink-tubing with black marker so that there was less light leakage into the face area. Works great. Lights are now more symmetrical around the shaft and I don't have as much of a dead spot on one side.

I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, because it's easy to get something to short out when doing this. I suppose one could fry their display board if this stuff shorted or something.