What exactly do you need this for? :-)

First, let me say that this "clock" would be a nice-to-have, not a must-have. Also, the notion that it would be GPS synched is not a matter of necessity. It's just that it would be cool to do, definitely appeals to my lazy side, and (by installing a GPS receiver) would provide the opportunity to run more general GPS-dependent apps (like yours).

Forget 1PPS and you and Laura can just ignore that particular proprietary string (I just went looking for examples of how time is formatted and found that string). For my purposes, I would be happy if this clock could be accurate +/- 2-3 seconds over the course of the day.

You are still asking: What is it for? Well, it would be a clock visible to both driver and navigator in local TSD rallies (most of the ones we run are late afternoon and evening, so the Empeg display would be great).

My co-driver (we trade off) and I agree that while we'll keep running TSDs, we are not likely to get so serious as to buy some $400-$600 in-car calculator/clock setup. We did decide, though, that we should do something on the clock front, and it finally occurred to us that trying to do math en route using MM:SS was a losing proposition; we need to make the leap to decimal minute/second format if we are to achieve less embarassing performance.

We are trying to become a slightly more well-oiled team as we have some thoughts about running the Winter Alcan Rally in 2004 (if we're both still employed, can afford some studded Nokians, et cetera). Since we may wind up slapping some low-grade sponsorship stickers on the WRX for that, I'm thinking we may be the only folks to run the Alcan with 2 blue Empeg stickers. A GPS-synched Empeg dash clock would make it even more of a conversation piece! It's not like we'll be using it to listen to music!

If we do Alcan, we probably would buy a low-end $200 rally clock with an electrical odo interface, but it would still be nice to have the Empeg as a reference clock.

Well, that's my sordid story. Don't lose any sleep over it. I'm just trying to think of ways to make it happen as a come-along -- a footnote. Also, FWIW, having gone to the trouble of setting up an arm compile config, I'm feeling some urge to figure some of this out myself, but don't want to reinvent anyone's wheel.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.