My problem with school vouchers is not so much the potential religious issue (which does bother me slightly, but I'll get over it), but the fact that it provides yet another benefit to affluent families.

First, let's assume that private schools are better than public schools. Since they existed previously, and people paid for them outright, that doesn't seem like a hard jump to make.

Since private schools do cost more, most poorer families will still not be able to send their kids there, as they don't have that extra money. So, for that reason, vouchers only benefit families with extra money.

Since private schools are still private, the administration can reject whatever applicants it wants. Imagine an inner-city black family that decides that they should spend a large portion of their money to send Junior to a private school in hopes that he'll get a better education and get out of the ghetto (an exaggerated, somewhat stereotypical circumstance, I'll grant). The school can still decide that Junior doesn't fit their entrance criteria (maybe based on the fact that he ``wouldn't fit in''). If these voucher-ized schools were required to accept anyone who could pay the entrance fee, then I'd be more okay with it (except, see my previous point). But I don't think that's going to happen, as I believe that many of the families that send their children to private schools do it specifically to get them away from those inner-city kids.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. And it's way off topic now.