But Al Qaeda seems much more interested in killing folks than trying to get things changed.

Yeah, its because they think it is religious, and that anyone not following their religion (especially Americans) are evil. Hence it is a holy war to them.

I totally agree.. they don't make readily available the reason for their terrorism - their message. I believe they simply don't care, the only answer to them is to destroy our way of life. I say 'our' to not mean 'American' but anyone that lives in freedom. And they are unfortunately hijaking the very religion that they are "fighting for". Although it is unfortunate to see and have seen in the past, lots of blood has been spilled over various religious disputes - such (unfortunate) irony since the major religions themselves seem to have a common moral thread that teaches peace and love.

Although the sniper is terrorizing the crap out of people around here, he is a crazed criminal that unfortunately has a gun, and I don't take it as being acts of terrorism. In fact, I don't think I've heard terrorism mentioned in any local news coverage about the sniper here. I think the comments that several people here made about what terrorism really is are correct.