Anyone practicing self righteousness is at best worthy of discipline and at worst a lying hypocrite in the very eyes of organized religion.
If there were more people like you around representing Christianity, and religion in general, I wouldn't be so opposed to it.

However, you seem to be the exception more than the rule. At the extremes, you've got people like Jerry Falwell, who seems to embody the idea of self-righteousness. And, unfortunately, most people I've found that refer to themselves as Christians (I live in the South, so there's not much around in the way of other religions), while not to that extreme, tend to fall into the realm of self-righteousness bolstered by the idea that their religion proves that they're right about everything. I realize that most Christians are not parts of that group (my mother springs to mind), but they really are a silent majority. If I were inclined to believe in a supreme being, which I'm largely not, I'd definitely not want to be associated with any of these groups.

And at least I'm up front with the fact that my self-righteousness and pedantism is based on bullheadedness and arrogance.

It's not so much that I'm opposed to religion as that I'm opposed to organized religion, as it seems to tend to create followers. We need more leaders.