Right vs. Left vs. Communism vs. Fascism, etc.

The main problem with all of this is that there are multiple axes all compressed into one by popular understanding. But there's no real connection between leftism and communism, or rightism and fascism. Let me try to define each of these terms.

Right == The desire to keep the status quo
Left == The desire for change
Fascism == The idea that rights are bestowed by the state
Communism == The idea that all property is owned by the people

So, in fact, Fascism is not the opposite of Communism. The opposite of Fascism would be, I don't know, Anarchism, maybe. The opposite of Communism is Capitolism, more or less.

The connection between the Left and Communism comes from the fact that most Communist states became that way due to the desire for change from the previous state (Tsarist Russia, Batista's Cuba, etc.) and the relationship between western, perhaps particularly American, liberals and their fascination with Communism in the early twentieth century.

I'm not really sure about the connection between the Right and Fascism, but that probably has to do with my lack of knowledge of early twentieth-century Germany, Spain, Italy, and Japan. Perhaps the Fascist governments grew out of an apparent desire for more government control, but that's pure speculation.

In reality, there's no reason why you couldn't have a Fascist Communist government. It'd be one that believed that the state's assets were owned by the people, but whose people had no inherent rights. In fact, that would seem to be a pretty good description of most Eastern European Communist states.