In a word, OIL.

Having a "pro-US" regime in Iraq for the forseeable future, will give the US preferential access to Iraq current oil reserves, and more importantly, will allow US energy companies to explore for and then develop/exploit Iraqs untapped oil reserves.

I'm waiting for someone to dispute your contentions on this point, but that may be a little harder to do now that many of the other, less-conspiracy-oriented war rationale are burdened with increasing implausibility.

The announceed withdrawal of US forces from Saudi Arabia, coincident with the "end" of the Iraq war, is no surprize at all. As many billions as Cheney and friends have made through their cozy ties with the Saudis, I think even they have realized that Saudi political society is fundamentally diseased and not a reliable or cooperastive ally.

In this scenario, we might as wll pull out from Saudi Arabia and let the corrupt royal family deal with their radical mullahs in what ever way they choose. If the royal family makes a deal with the mullahs or is overthrown by them (and we perceive a threat), no problem. We can just invade from our new bases in Iraq!

Tipping the table, I think that guy said.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.