Quote:
This sounds like a really worthwhile mod

Denise only has a 20 or 30Gb drive and wanted an upgrade anyhow.

It sounds like it's viable enough that I can go out and buy an 8Gb CF (£50), an adapter (£15) and a 120Gb laptop drive (£47), put it together, (find the PUIS pin if needed) and have a fast booting Empeg with 128Gb for a little over £100 - cool.

This would also stay cooler playing music that's on the CF?

Perhaps. The basic method I'm using right now is to not be clever about where the tunes are stored. The hard drive stays spun-down until/unless something is needed that's not currently cached in the CF card. At which point it caches that new data into the CF.

Generally, I don't think I'll be caching many tunes there, as the idea was to allow use of the Tuner/Aux without spinning up the drive. For tunes, the drive will still spin up.

One question is, should I let it cache tunes in the CF? Probably just a waste of write cycles to do so.

----

A different way to do this, would be to have the CF card contain a normal empeg filesystem, and have Hijack ensure that tag files and database stuff etc.. all end up on the CF card, and only the actual tunes be eligible for residing on the hard disk.

But my current implementation achieves that automatically, "learning" over time, and permits removal of the CF card completely at any point, without any meaningful loss of data.

Anyway, it's working here in a "lab setup". I have to add a small control GUI to the Hijack Menu system for it, and decide whether to have it detect tunes and not cache them, or not.

Cheers