Yeah, it's beautiful but it isn't working reliably. Very often, the slave drive will fail upon boot with the "lost interrupt" error. I can't tell you how many times I flashed the drive builder on the player last night, but I spent 5-6 hours trying to get thing working right.

It doesn't matter which adapter I designate slave or which card I stick into which adapter. 9 times out of 10, the thing won't boot correctly and HDB is always what gets hung-up. I checked the cable multiple times and even swapped for a new one.

My list of possible reasons is:
  • The CF cards may not be 100% compatible being accessed as IDE devices (probably a long shot).
  • The IDE-to-CF adapters may not be compatible with cards over a certain size. They appear to be dumb pin converters, but I could be wrong.
  • One of the adapters may have grounded out on the drive carrier. There is electrical tape along the bottom as shown in the photo, but it's easily pierced. When removing the 8GB cards, the adapters became a little loose. I didn't notice this until later when I tried tightening-up the screws holding the CF adapters to the drive carrier.

Maybe I'll do some more detective work in the future, but for now this empeg has an old 60 and 80GB drive in there getting filled with tunes.