We'll have to wait and see how this all plays out and also what further refinements will be made to the new Windows Phone UI - it borrows from the Zune, but it's not the Zune UI from what I've seen/read.

MS appears to actually be trying. While the other guys... Aren't. IMO, Android is a total mess and the actions of everyone involved are devaluing the platform and brand more each day. You want the (now old by tech standards) 2.1 update on your phone? You may have to wait until Q3 2010. That's just ludicrous. I'll say it again. Google needs to take a firm grip on this situation and mandate that anyone claiming their phone is "Android" brand must have their updates ready to roll when Google says they need to be. Better still is a single Google source for updates.

As far as Palm is concerned, they make a tiny little splash every now and then, but no one's paying attention to these guys. They've had their moment in the sun already unfortunately. No matter how many times they show a Pre on the new series of 24.

Anyway, these nice MS moves aside, this whole thing might just play out like the whole Zune versus iPod situation. I hope not though. If I had pull at MS, I would have taken the same leap of faith here as the XBOX team did. Either absolutely no OEM licensing for Windows Phone or limit it to one or two top-tier brands that will each only supply ONE hardware product. Microsoft should have their own hardware available.