Originally Posted By: hybrid8
3. I don't see the road ahead paved with fantastic apps for MS Phone. I see the potential for a lot of crap given history and the ease of development with new tools. You make something too easy and people are going to take a very easy/lax approach to quality as well.

A lot of crap does not mean no fantastic apps. If users can connect with the quality apps (something that is part of the MS strategy), then the number of poor apps is beside the point.

And I don't really know that Silverlight is "too easy". You have to know what you are doing (like with most other platforms). If you do, then it is very powerful.

But beyond that- it isn't about how easy or difficult Silverlight is. There are plenty of developers out there who already possess skills with WPF and Silverlight- these developers will be able to instantly translate those skills to the new phone and get cracking creating visually stunning apps. One of the TAs on our current project is already doing this in his off time (building a chord finder app for musicians) and will be ready to go soon after the phone ships. For him, the real bonus is getting to leverage the skills he already has.

The problem, of course, is that if no one is interested in the phone his app won't sell smile