Originally Posted By: siberia37
Originally Posted By: DWallach
IMHO, the genius of Android is mostly under the hood. They're doing a very clever process model, such that each app is running with a separate Unix user-id, thus limiting the damage that can be done if an app goes rogue or whatever. There are lots of other clever technical features. Most of Bruno's complaints seem to focus not on the technology, per se, but rather on the extent to which Google and its partners are managing it.

Windows Mobile has always run processes under different process ids. Of all the developmental platforms Windows Mobile is the easiest to develop for bar none, everything is documented, no developer fees to pay etc etc... I don't think lack of apps is the problem with Windows Mobile either- it has thousands although most are very old and go back to the early PDA days. I think the problem with Windows Mobile is it just doesn't have the bells and whistles and touch-screen support that the iPhone has. In every other way it's probably superior.

The Windows Mobile dev environment is really "not all that", sure it's Visual Studio, but the mobile stuff seems to have been bodged and shoehorned in. I had a number of test units connected on a network running code, and I lost count of the number of times that the bloody dev environment would randomly decide to run on one of those rather than my local dev unit. Not to mention the fact that Microsoft seem to have deprecated "native" development under Windows mobile to the point where you have no realistic choice but to use the .NET CF, which in one of the applications left much to be desired performance wise.