Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
If your wife/partner is planning to breast feed, a good quality Medela breast pump is also worth spending some bucks on.

Or not. We own one baby bottle, and it's still in the packaging. This one's a totally personal thing. My wife didn't go back to work immediately, so we never bothered with the whole pumping thing. My brother-in-law's wife, however got a lot of mileage from a pump, because their baby had trouble latching on. I'd say wait until you need one, before buying one.

Quote:
My best advice for diapers: Target's house brand. Decent quality diapers at half the cost of Pampers or Huggies.

My best advice for diapers: ignore the above advice. smile

Seriously, they're like shoes... different diaper brands fit different. On our daughter, Target and Pampers tended to be leakier than Huggies, but some parents we talked to had the opposite experience, and it was Huggies that leaked the worst. (For that matter, we also hate Target and Pampers baby wipes. Both of them seem to smear things more than wipe them off.) If Target brand diapers fit, and work for you, that's great; the cheaper, the better, until it's the reason you're carrying your baby through the store by her armpits, while poop is oozing through her clothes. (Not that that won't happen to you at least once anyway, no matter which brand you use.)

Clip coupons, and watch for sales. We got our best price on Huggies when buying them with coupons, when they were already on sale at Target. CostCo does *not* have the best prices on baby items, despite being a bulk retailer.