Quote:
- You'll be changing diapers/nappies at night. Get yourself a red lightbulb, which will allow you to see without blinding you. (Although there is some controversy about optimal night vision light color.)

Great idea. We just used a small lamp with a low wattage bulb. Helps to be able to see well enough to get the poop out of all the crevices. Especially the menconium. Eww.

Quote:
- Baby poop stinks something awful. There are all kinds of sealed trashcans you can buy. We got a model that had a goofy rotating piston contraption and took standard trashbags. There are fancier ones that take custom trashbags and generate diaper sausages. Our ultimate conclusion was that these contraptions were effective for pee diapers and useless for poop.

One of the many good reasons to breastfeed - the poop doesn't stink near as bad. I feel bad for my friends with formula fed babies...I can smell that stuff even before the change and it's nasty.

We had one of those contraptions with the first one. With the second, we just use a rubbermaid tub with a trash bag and twist the top of the bag between uses. Give the tub or trashcan the anti-bacterial disinfectant treatment every week or so.

Quote:
Traditional cribs (we got one secondhand) have this gate that moves up and down and makes a ton of noise, even if you lubricate all the appropriate bits.

Even when we had one, the gate was useless. I agree to look for the adjustable height. You only need it 6 inches deep or so while they're a newborn. As soon as the baby rolls over the first time, lower that sucker down.

Quote:
Baby gates. If you've got stairs, then you legitimately need baby gates on top to keep the kid from having a bumpy ride.

We just taught our baby to go down the stairs. No annoying gate needed. Requires work on the parents part to train though. Many Americans lack patience for this.

Quote:
Quote:
- Eavesdropping devicesBaby monitors. We never got one.

Seconded on this, too, even with a dual-story house.

Thirded. Except now our cabana is a separate building from the lodge where we spend a lot of our time, so we use one to know when the kids wake up from their naps. So I suppose they do have their legitimate uses. The one we have you can turn off the sound and it will vibrate only when the volume hits a certain threshold. Cuts down on the annoyance.