Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Quote:
Oh and has anyone used cloth diapers? Everyone says how expensive disposable ones are so I have been looking to see if cloth ones could save some money.
Only if your time has no value, and you pay next to nothing for the additional water and electricity you'll be using to wash them. You also have to be extra vigilant, because diaper rash is far more prevalent in cloth diapers, because there's no wicking away the moisture. We tried cloth diapers, and decided it wasn't worth the hassle, so you can put that in the "wish you hadn't bought" category.

Uh, diaper services exist for a reason.

Yep. But if your goal in using cloth diapers is to save money, you aren't going to do it by using a diaper service. If your goal in using cloth diapers is to save the environment, you still aren't going to do it by using a diaper service, because of all the chemicals they use in the laundering process.
Quote:
So do diaper covers.

Which aren't always effective, either.
Quote:
And your argument is that plastic wicks moisture better than cotton? You should tell that to every cheap napkin I've used at a restaurant.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? When's the last time you even picked up a diaper, let alone a used one? The inside of a disposable diaper is not made of plastic. There's a layer of fabric, under which is a pad of stuff that absorbs liquid. That pad of stuff is so effective at absorbing liquid that, unless you let it get completely saturated (say... by not changing the baby for several hours), it will draw moisture through the fabric layer so well that you will have a hard time feeling any moisture on the fabric itself. I have changed wet diapers that do not feel wet. Cotton, on the other hand, will just hold all the moisture right there, at the point of contact.