Well I’m more confused than ever…
I thought I would try and narrow down the problem, so here is what I’ve tried:

I have 3 players (2 are mine, 1 a friends) to test this with, lets call them player A, B and C, and 2 cars to test with. All players are Rio Car versions.

Player A: Dated 15.05.01 on the inspected sticker. SN 030102882
Player B: Dated 15.05.01 on the inspected sticker. SN 030102939
Player C: Dated 26.03.01 on the inspected sticker. SN 010101885

Player C does not suffer from the dimmer problem with ANY version of the player software. We also tried it in 2 cars. Works great, never seen the problem.

Player A and B both have suffered with the dimmer problem running any beta 2 version, so I flashed player A back to v1.03. It seemed to fix it! (Keep reading) Great I thought (even if it was a bit odd that player C seemed happy with any version software)

Thinking that was that, and that it must be a combination of hardware and software(?), I went back out to my car a couple of hours later to see if player A with 1.03 was still happy. Aaaaagh! Nope, it was playing up again. I restarted it a few times with no luck. The only thing I can think of is that it was either a coincidence or that the problem is temperature related as it had been outside a while (When it worked it had just come from indoors, but then again player B came from indoors with b11 and showed the fault!)

Other points: I’ve seen the fault with and without hijack installed, so we can rule that out. We got the same results in either car (Thought it could be voltage related or something), and finally Player A and B both have working temp sensors, but player C’s does not work (hijack reads 4 deg c permanently)

Hope this helps track it down….