Just to clear things up, I've got the problem which Rez and Warp10 describe. The annoyance is when I get in the car my dimmer will seemingly be at a random level, and when I toggle the headlights, it changes to another random level.

After the player has been on for 10 mins or so (and something has fixed itself due to temperature rising, I'm assuming) the dimmer works without fault, without exception.

My problem is definitely temperature related. I've tested this time after time now. It's possible that the other guys here with the problem aren’t affected by temperature, I could just be "lucky" and the component in question is affected between the 20-24 degree range. Theirs might start working at 60 degrees, who knows.

I noticed an IC on the display board, an AD8400 which is a digital pot. I'm guessing this is used for dimming, and it would be my guess as the suspect component. Tell me if this is crap, I’m no expert.

Anybody care to comment on the fact the dates of all the faulty players are all within a fairly short time period (6 weeks?)