Let's step back and take stock of this. I think we are losing track of the situation.

There would seem to be FOUR unrelated dimmer related issues.

1. Player sometimes boots up in dim mode, until the player starts. Yes - it does - we can't do anything about it.

2. Screen flickers on/off bright/dim all over the place at random, or goes permanantly ultra dim (barely viewable on 100% brightness). This is a component (capacitor?) fault on the display board. It can be fixed under warranty, and I seem to recall that we've only seen two or three cases in total. So - support issue, don't ask for a fix here, contact [email protected].

3. Screen occassionally switches into dim mode, and then back to bright mode. This is believed to be a player software bug (of sorts). A single glitch on the dimmer input is interpreted as a PCM cycle causing the display to dim. A second or two later the player notices the lack of further PCM cycles, and un-dims. Solution - more thorough PCM detection in the player software. We'll look at this for a later release.

4. Screen brightness is erratic when adjusting the dimmer using the front panel controls. Sometimes (rarely) the incorrect brightness level is set by the auto dimmer. This is a shortcoming of the display board processor. This chip is not software upgradable. It is possible that this could be affected by manufacturing variance or temperature, as the PIC runs from a very simple oscillator - but the problem is within the protocol (which should not be so sensitive to small variations). We can't think of any way to fix this in the player software, and neither is there a hardware solution. The dimmer should mostly work fine, except when setting the level from the front panel. If you're not satisfied with this, email me.

Rob
[email protected]