Just for reference - I wasn't talking about the X-type, or even the S-type. I was talking about Jaguar's top of the line sports car, the XK8/XKR. The interiors of these cars are sh*t. They're unattractive, and have poor build quality. I know, I've spent a fair amount of time in them.

Is it probable that Jaguar and Aston Martin would have gone under without Ford? Yep. Is it mere coincidence that Jaguar's interiors took a serious nosedive as soon as Ford aquired them? I really, really doubt it. I don't doubt that Jaguar has a fair amount of design independence. However, to say that Ford does not effect the design of Jags is asinine, because they have huge say in their budget and the parts they have access to.

It may be that all these changes are necessary if Jaguar is going to be a profitable company instead of a sinkhole, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be bow down and praise Ford for making them. The end result is still a bunch of Jag's that I like less than I used to.

I don't have any particular prejudice against American cars. In fact, I'd rather buy American. If Ford ever builds a car that is comparable to my Audi A4 (or a BMW, or Lexus) in design, build quality, price, and handling, I'll buy it. However, no such car exists, from any US car company.

-Adam