My first babysteps in the Mp3 car entertainment domain were made with a Neo35 player that I bought from carplayer.com in june 2001.

When the unit arrived on my doorstep, the UPS guy demanded an extra $170 of taxes. I hadn't expected this, but I went to the bank (with the UPS guy following me), got the money and payed him.

Since then I've received about three documents from UPS. I thought this was an invoice (because they looked like invoices). The first two times in Belgian Francs, the last one in Euros. I thought this was something their accountancy department did because of the francs to euro conversion.
Nowhere on this document was written that it was a reminder that I still had to pay $170. There also was no accompanying letter that said this. Also no form to wire the money (which is custom over here when you still owe a company money) was attached to the document.
Knowing that I fully paid everything I ever owed to UPS I didn't put much notice to the letters and forgot about them.

But today I received a new letter from them. For the first time an actual written letter an not some sort of invoice.
This letter states that I still have to pay them $170 and if I fail to do so within 10 days legal action will be taken.

I can tell you, this was quite the surprise! Almost TWO years later!!!

I've seached everywhere, but I can't find the receipt I got from the UPS guy (I don't even remember ever getting one). I guess if there ever was one it was thrown away when I got rid of the packaging of the Neo35, one year later when the warranty was expired!

My guess is that the UPS guy just put the cash in his pockets and never paid it to his company.

So that's it then. I have no proof that I actually paid that amount, so I guess I'll have to pay whatever they ask to avoid legal repercussions.

I hate UPS!