However, overall I'd say that our educational system has devolved into nothing more than daycare.

One of the greatest things about American Education also plants the seeds for its downfall, and that is, everybody is entitled to a free education through the 12th grade. Unfortunately, whoever makes the "rules" went (IMHO) a step too far and decided that not only is everybody entitled, but they are required to partake of this education, at least through the age of 16.

Bah. I don't believe that for a second. You have the same thing in Canada -- a system that requires everyone under 16 to be in school, getting a free education, and it certainly hasn't devolved into a daycare. Sure, there are kids there that don't want to be there, but even in the basic level classes I took, kids that just goofed off got kicked out of class. Kids that didn't want to be there played hookey, and, quite often, repeated a few classes. If you don't know the required material, you failed.

My neighbour spent the last few years teaching public school (in Compton, no less). I took a look at the report cards that he's using, and it's pathetic. Where are the grades? There was far more emphasis on "does he play nice with others," and "is she trying hard," than there appeared to be on actual grades. He had kids passing grade 4 based on the fact that they put in effort, not because they learned the material.

When a teacher at a school in New York isn't allowed to punish a student that swears at her, let alone have him removed from class, because there's a policy in place that says "we don't punish the students," there's something far more seriously wrong with the system than just requiring kids to be in until they're 16. What do you expect a system to turn into when parents show up at a school with lawyers? "My kid isn't learning, so I'm going to sue you." "Okay, your kid passes, because I don't want to be sued."

Blame it on society, blame it on the kids, whatever -- but it sure ain't the fault of the system for requiring a kid be in school.