mdavey replied: site:
> How about a plastic fascia similar to Marcus' design?

I don't have a way of having the CAD files CAM'ed into a physical master, and having that done is beyond the $ limit that I've set on the development costs for the project.

But, looking at Marcus' graphics, I just realized that what I thought was the bottom edge of the fascia is actually the unit's handle. A few questions:

1. What color is the handle?
2. What material is it made of?
3. Would the handle being included with the fascia and buttons be expected by purchasers?

Thanks for the answers!

rob replied:
> That would be SONICblue, and by next week will be Denon & Marantz...

Thanks, Rob. I read through your page on the development of the new fascia, and then read through what I could find on the purchase of Rio and it's intellectual property until I ended up at D&M's site (http://www.dm-holdings.com).

It looks as if I could produce the fascia and buttons as long as I'm careful to not associate it with the player or with D&M itself. I was going to add a generic radio reproduction line to our product lines anyway and leave it open for a number of device types.

I sent off an inquiry to Denon (no address for Marantz) a few minutes ago. It will be interesting to see what the response is.

> It seems you don't need the original CAD...

My own ThermoJet 3D printer is somewhere down the line acquisition-wise, so I'm not using CAD/CAM at present.

>... and I'm not aware you need permission to copy a physical object which
is neither patented nor trademarked. Just don't try to pass it off as Rio.
Of course i'm not a lawyer, and our lawyers have bigger things on their
minds right now.

Actually, you produced the units and the new fascia/buttons in the UK. Was a US copyright or patent applied for? I hadn't thought of that angle on the issue. I'll have to look into it.

I hope that you and the other Rob made out okay with the transition of the company.

Thanks again for the help.