but maybe someone has an original unmodified handle... well, handy?
Ba-DUM. "Thank you, I'm here all week."

(The resins that I use can be drilled and tapped.)
Cool. You'd probably use a different kind of screw than the factory handle, then. The factory screws have a very short shaft and a very fine thread, obviously made for metal. But if you supplied the correct screw, I could see that working quite well. Your description of the strength of the resins is promising. The player isn't that heavy. When I was thinking that it wouldn't work in plastic, I was thinking more along the lines of styrene, not a really strong resin.

Folks who want to replace the standard factory fascia with one that looks different/cool/coordinates/wows/etc. and that easily replaces the factory one.
Ah, cool. I hadn't realized at first you were going for alternate colors for your replacement fascia. Just solid colors? What about swirled colors or patterns, or faux stone/wood? Like they do on cell phone fascia replacements? Were you going to do colored translucent fascias so we could have an imac-style empeg that was backlit? Ooooo....:)

I'll post their answer here (if there is one).
I'm guessing their answer will be something like "a faceplate for WHAT?... Wait a minute, we bought WHO?... How long ago?... Ah. Well, you'd probably have to talk to that Rob guy in Cambridge, he was in charge of that project..."

Wondered about that, but that's the sort of market that companies like mine seek out.
COOL. Then you're the guy we want doing this stuff. I can't wait to order some more buttons.

Oh, and about the buttons, you have to realize that some owners have a "keyed" D-shaped knob shaft, and others have a round shaft where the button is held on by friction. The friction version is a bit of a PITA, because if the knob isn't exactly the right size, it won't grip, or it'll grip too tightly for them to pull it off when they want to change or remove the fascia.

The factory solution to the gripping problem was to redesign the knob gripper a bit, and then supply a rubber O-ring at precisely the right size so that it created a tiny bit of extra friction. It sounds like a bit of a hack job, but in the end it works really well.

Anyway, my point is that if you cast knobs, you'll need to cast two different versions. Brian simply shipped both versions of the knob to every customer, as well as shipping one of the correct-size rubber O rings, just to make sure that all bases were covered.