Mach replied:
> The handle is coated aluminum. I can forward my handle but it is chromed and may be a little thicker than original...

Thanks, Mach, but maybe someone has an original unmodified handle... well, handy? I'd have to examine it in order to determine if a resin handle would hold up to removing the unit and carrying the weight of the unit during transport. The other consideration would be whether the screws that hold the handle to the hinges would be sufficient to do the job. (The resins that I use can be drilled and tapped.)

I'd rather not be saddled with replacing someone's drop-damaged unit!

tfabris replied:

> Currently, there is no one offering alternate handle replacements...

That's something to keep in mind. Thanks.

> ... what's your target market?

Folks who want to replace the standard factory fascia with one that looks different/cool/coordinates/wows/etc. and that easily replaces the factory one. A plus is that it it'll work with the LED conversion.

> It might be more fun to come up with an alternate, like 303 has. You'd sell more of them that way.

The investment to create an original design is way beyond what I want to invest at this time. Toymaking (sculpting/casting) is my primary occupation, and every hour that I invest into a project runs me $35.00 per. Something like producing an original fascia design could easily run into 100 to 300 hours of design/fabrication/development.

> ... a plastic handle probably would NOT work.

I'd have to see the original handle before I could determine this either way. The resins that I use are also used for making rock climbing "handles" (?), those things that bolt into the "rock face" at climbing gyms. I also use them to cast reproduction lenses for antique vehicles, as well as for custom lenses for other vehicles.

I once tested the durability of a 3" resin lens that I'd cast, with my reconditioned antique Crossman Arms "M1 Carbine" BB rifle. With an ambient outdoor temp of 81.8 degrees F, at 10', 6', and 3', the BB's left almost no discernible mark on the lens.

It wasn't until I brought the rifle to bear at 12" (inches), that I was able to crack the edge of the lens. Even so, the lens is intact. There's a small, 0.5" x 0.25" "T"-shaped star, but it's all internal to the lens and the lens is still completely functional.

It's tough stuff.

>
> I sent off an inquiry to Denon (no address for Marantz) a few minutes ago. It will be interesting to see what the response is.

> I would have skipped that [inquiry to Denon ]...

I can't. As a professional, and because of my personal beliefs, I have to observe the copyright laws. Businesses like mine can be put out of business rather quickly when bootleggers steal our intellectual property and sell copies of it. Which gives me that much more encouragement to be fair and legal when I manufacture products.

I'll post their answer here (if there is one).

> Remember, there's only 4000 or so units in circulation..

Wondered about that, but that's the sort of market that companies like mine seek out. Limited runs (usually less than 1000) of a unique design (got to get some fun in there somewhere), that can be relatively cost effective to produce (a decent margin is always good).