tfabris replied:
> So I think at this point, the only thing you can do from your point of view is see what responses you get from your emails (if any) and proceed as you see fit. I realize this is a legal gray area for you, and that's the very thing you want to avoid. But so far you're our best hope for getting a plentiful selection of aftermarket plastic parts for our beloved toy, and I know that none of us want to see you get scared off of the project.

I've done this same thing with other IP, and the responses that you get can vary from "Heck, that's okay with me, Dude, go for it." (no restrictions), to "Well, sure, as long as you don't..." (some restrictions), to "You can have it when it falls from my lawyer's cold dead fingers." (no license, ever). And God's grace, so far none of the licenses that I've been given have involved license fees.

In order to avoid the lawyers of one giant of the miniatures gaming industry, which shall remain incognito, I developed a correspondence with their IP people in order to avoid being introduced to their fabulously wealthy lawyers over some of my own original miniatures gaming products that tread close to their IP designs.

My chief concern in this particular instance is the Japanese connection. Here in the States the line of ownership goes to whichever company is at the top, unless the IP wasn't part of the deal when the purchased company was sold to the buyer.

I'm afraid that I really couldn't tell from the material that I read on the 'Net how these issues stood with the fascia and button design. Rob may very well be the one who holds the cookie jar on this, but I'm stuck with making certain I'm in the clear.

I started CF&Son after I discovered that my doodlings with casting attracted money (not a bad thing in it's own way), but got an early jump start on going full time with it when I was downsized at my retail hobby industry job.

We're a small specialty company and have to tread carefully so as to avoid getting stepped on by the big-footed lawyers of angry IP owners (ref. "A Simple Wish" starring Martin Short, the scene with the 50' rabbi terrorizing Nevada).

Practically speaking, in relation to this particular project, there doesn't seem to be a problem with my producing a few trial castings to see how they turn out and to present to y'all (this Philly boy's been in the South for too long) for inspection.

I'm fairly certain that Rob's correct in saying that there's no problem with my producing the units; especially with the limited market, discontinuation of the line, and other factors.

I'm just trying to make sure that I'm hunting on the "King's land" with permission, hoping to avoid a confrontation with the Sheriff of Snottingham. Outlawing is exciting and profitable (and wrong in this case), but it's a pain to be beheaded. It can place a real damper on your weekends. :O)
-------

tfabris replied:
> ... most people will be buying buttons to match their player's lens color...
> ... to exactly match the glow of the text on the screen, some trial and error would be needed to determine the exact color shades of plastic to make the buttons appear to be the same color as the screen. Brian did some experiments in this area with moderate success, by (for example) tinting the blue buttons ever so slightly greenish to match the blue lens over the cyan VFD.

Ack. I knew that not owning one of these babies could be a problem.

Well, I could buy a set of the lenses, find a light source as similar to the player's as possible, and then tint the buttons to match the resulting output; or I could just set a new standard...

Got to think about that one. Thanks for the head's up.
-------

mlord replied:
> [Rob] really is the only guy you need to contact about this stuff.

Sure is looking that way.

> BBS posters who's names display in the colour blue are part of the development team, or were, at some point in time.

Ah! Didn't know that. So who are the red and green ones? (And why is mine yellow?)
-------

Just heard that buttons, knob, handle, handle mounting brackets, and fascia are on their way and should be here sometime next week...