Quote:
Absolutely. I'm sure letting Bush hang himself is part of the Kerry strategy. However, Bush's greatest asset in debating is his ability to ignore whatever questions are being asked and repeat the same answers over again. The Republican handlers call this being "on message." By doing this, he never has to think on his feet, which is shrewd planning, because thinking is hard for Dubya. Because of this, I wouldn't imagine we'll be seeing any true "debating' at all.

You won't see anything that could be called a debate. The various electronic media outlets, however, are probably obliged to call these "debates" as part of their agreement to get broadcast rights. I'm undecided about whether I will watch, given how infuriating I might find this brain-dead format. It's not like I am one of the 6 undecided voters left in the country.

I think the Bush strategy will be exactly as you describe. Focus on well-practiced, simple, near-rote responses. Less chance of trouble. Obviously, some voters will like this enough to consider it a win.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.