I just reread a bit of that Suskind article and one part jumped out at me again. Y'know, we all shake our heads now over the heady stock-option dot.com days and half-laughingly ask "*What* were we/they thinking???"

Well, read this section of Suskind's article:

Quote:
The [Bush] aide said that guys like me were ''in what we call the reality-based community,'' which he defined as people who ''believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.'' I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. ''That's not the way the world really works anymore,'' he continued. ''We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.''

Bring back any memories? I submit (and can !, will I coin a term here?) that we are in the middle of the Faith Bubble .

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.