Quote:
Not a bad summary, but the idea of Modularity is just not achieveable due to practical aspects of how the player actually works in normal operation. The guys have looked at this (remember the big discussions about the "plug in decoder" architecture?) and it's just not on, otherwise they'd have done it! They are pretty smart cookies - if it's not been done so far, there's a good reason for it.

This is too bad, I thought this (modular code) would be our "best case" option.

Quote:
No, we are better off focussing in stability and correction of dysfunction. A final release version of V3 with all the minor playlist issues, caching, graphics, memory allocation, radio tuning and RDS to get a good meat-and-potato release of the quality of V2 Final, along with a revised disk builder seems to me to be the way to go. It is work based on established material, and has a better chance of success.

I can't justify paying for a player that will still be closed source, with no modularity (read: no future as far as I can see) with only two major features above V2: crossfading and fixed RDS and tuning. Especially since I do not have a tuner. You aren't getting a lot of interest because V2 final was most of what we need.

Quote:
Why not an effort to work on the open source players that have been floating around for a while? Well, indeed - but why hasn't it been done by now?

V2 does most of what we want, there is no killer feature yet that an open source player would provide, in fact it would be moving backwards (at least at first). jEmplode was written so it could be used on non-PC platforms, a feature that many people wanted (including the developer).

Quote:
And why pay for an open source one when I could (potentially) work on the real thing?

An open source player cannot be EOL'd. Rio cannot halt development or distribution of an open source player. We would then own the hardware, the kernel, the player and all 3rd party applications. The real thing may not have a future, and our money will have been wasted.