Moving back to some older strains of the topic:

mdavey:
Quote:
think about what strategy is best for DNNA rather than what strategy is best for the community.

Brilliant, as are Bruno's and others' counterpoints. The community doesn't have the money for the project, but if DNNA buys in, it may just work. But RobV reasonably justified why it wouldn't work. We can't help the Rio brand but we can help our car players. So, moving backward some more.

RobV:
Quote:
To make [3.0 functionality] a reality in an open source world it would be necessary to attract more developers with time on their hands than we're likely to find in the empeg community

I don't know the open-source scene, but *aren't* there developers with time on their hands... somewhere in the wilds of the Internet? Could we dig into the open-source community and find the handfull of developers who've never heard of the empeg but would love to work for it once they see it and own one? Yes, they are a rare breed, but they must be out there.

Ha, I'd launch my typical "all out recruitment assault" on the open-source community if I knew where to start. But isn't there an old military rule that "a devoted contributor will do the work of 50 recruits"? Can we recruit devoted contributors? (am I even spelling "recruit" correctly?) If DNNA won't make the killer open source MP3 app, maybe we can assemble an army to do it.