Linksys routers is about the best example I've been able to think about as well. But I wouldn't say they're the market leader because of the Linux-based firmware.

I just can't see this model being applied to Apple's iPod at this time for instance. Nor can I see it working for Rio. I don't think it would buy them even a single percentage point of market share.

The server software example is completely invalid - those installations are available for free. I'd also hardly call Star Office a leader at anything. In any case, those are software solutions that can be, but aren't generally the vital core of a specific product. At least not a consumer nor mass-market good. Sure, company X's server comes with all this built in. But it could have been built with something else. And company X may have had nothing to do with contributing to any of the software on said machine. Too far out to left field.

So we have one valid example right now: Linksys Routers

The reason I see an open player working well for the empeg is specifically because it's EOL. This is from a consumer perspective. I see it as good for us. I don't see it as good for Rio.

Bruno