Quote:
At one time job satisfaction and a few pizzas would generate sufficient motivation for this, but these days I suspect it may take something more tangible.

I remember the days when many of us would call the local pub and start a drinking fund for you guys for this very purpose. Has the environment changed in such a way that even if some key people wanted to stay after a few weekends (after being enticed by us owners) that they would not even have the permission to do this work - not on company time? Even though the company would still own the finished product?

From reading Hugo's post, it seemed to me that more builds coming out of empeg were not unrealistic. I know that everyone got excited about hints of a future product, but I also saw hints of future builds. Is there some way we can "wet the wheels"? I know John G. and others are not very active on these message boards, but they have been very responsive in email when I contacted them about my "empeg sound" web site.

I much as I love Rob S's original post, I don't know if we'd be able to raise enough funds to get him to eat. And if more builds can come from empeg, would it even be the best way to go?

Fixing bugs should be the priority. There are so many cool features built into alpha 3 (auto EQ, auto volume adjust, CROSSFADING, pitch bending, etc) that I'd settle for bug fixes and no new features.

Did I mis-read Hugo's post?

I just don't see the point in reinventing the wheel. It would take so long just to get to 1.3 functionality that we'd be going backwards to do this. If we're serious about an opensource movement, maybe it'd be best to see what "empeg 4" Hugo has up his sleeve and work on an open source player for that.

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (03/01/2005 00:57)