Quote:
And if no replacement player miracle occurs, then I would say there will be less technical interest to keep people posting.

I don't mean to swing off track again, but this thread is sounding like we're reading the eulogy at the funeral of all things empeg. All of our players still work and give us unrivaled control over our mp3 collections. All of our players still have plenty of cool 3rd party software options, and there is still room to make more; especially with more memory.

But from the current deviation of this thread, it sounds like what we’ve got isn’t good enough. Yes, I understand RobS’s original intent to finalize the software, which is a great effort on his part; but I’m talking about this “without open source player / new software, or our empegs die” feeling that I’m getting from later in the thread.

Are we sharks, who die if they stop moving? Is this Microsoft mentality where we need new new new all the time? Or can we focus working with what we’ve got, like all our 3rd party software contributors do? We’ve got 2.0final for stability and 3a8 for cutting edge fun, and they aren’t facing obsolescence anytime soon, right? If MP4s (AAC?) were suddenly overrunning MP3, then maybe we’d need an open source player that could adapt, but that’s not the case.

I can’t see how lack of an open source player will be the end of the player and the end of the community. We still have 3rd party software and hardware, we still need to discuss troubleshooting, and, like Jim says, we still like to talk to each other in Off Topic. Long live the empeg; we’re still better than anything else out there!