ok,

we're there!!!

after a quick re-think i've moved the jack end to the ground pin directly beneath the socket,

reason being that i could see this pin connected directly to the pin below, where as the one to the right, as originally connected to, was not going to contact with the ground of the plug due to insulation on the end of the plug. (the repair isn't as messy as it looks in the pic!! though i need to replace with some finer wire and clean the pcb when i get time!)

a quick check of the ohms (3.7ohm) and power up...

so far so good,

connect the hard drive...

bingo!!

all seems to be fine,

the only thing i can see at this moment as being 'not right', is the remote for my other player doesn't work with this one (empeg car), and the software needs updating as the menu seems to be different (mainly visuals) to the other later) empeg rio car.

i'll re-assemble the player shortly, once you've had chance to re-assure me that all is as it should now be, and then get around to upgrading the drive and the software!

next will be a way to figure the player to connect via a network to reduce the ludicrous upload time for 25-30gb of music!

huge thanks for all your help, Mark (and others).

Hugh

Edited by crazyplums (04/02/2009 12:32)