Quote:
As a country who has Christian values at it's heart I would have thought the US would have wanted to help all it citizens equally. I'm an atheist myself but have always thought the story of the good Samaritan could be told a little more often.

Unfortunately, very few of the people who call themselves Christians are actually Christ-followers. If there were more, there would be little need for government involvement in health care because of the overwhelming amount of personal charity, which is really a more faithful interpretation of parable of the Good Samaritan.

That said, in our society where a very small minority of those who call themselves Christians actually practice what they claim to, government sponsored healthcare is the next logical step. This makes sense to me.

My only personal hangup after spending a career so far in the education industry is what a massive failure our government seems to be at running any large system in a remotely efficient and effective way. But just because our government has an extremely high failure rate, I don't suppose that means we shouldn't give them a fair shot at trying to get something right. I just wont be optimistic about it.

It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.