Originally Posted By: Redrum
What annoys me as well is that when an uninsured person does go to the doctor in many cases they must go to an emergency room in order to be treated in a timely manor.

I assume you mean the ER is faster than a free clinic would be. Because a regular doctor won't see them at all without ability to pay. And it's not like the ER is fast.

Seems to me the cost of more free clinics could be balanced out by the savings of emergency visits.

I don't know what they're like elsewhere, but none of the free clinics here are run by hospitals. That cost would have to be passed through the government. Seems to me that doing it that way would be a waste of resources when you could use the same money to provide insurance to those people and they could see whatever doctor they wanted.

As well as the benefit of not plugging up the system with head cold patience’s that take resources away from real emergency patients. However I’m sure a lot of head cold patients would be screaming when they get turned away from the ER.

I don't think anyone prefers to go to the ER.

In addition, people are still triaged. The headcold patient will always be prioritized lower than the heart attack victim.

Edited by wfaulk (18/08/2009 15:36)