What I was trying to say is that the high risks and monetary input weed out those who are just in it to make a quick buck. The fact that there are those that apply and are turned down is a GOOD thing. There are plenty that WANT do be doctors, even if it weren't for the compensation. But if someone has to crack my chest open, I want him to be not adequate, but the best. To get the best, the mediocre have to be weeded out.

As to a government run program, I fail to see how this will make matters better. As we stand now, all the costs are currently payed for by the paying consumer. Our prices are higher than they would be if the hospitals didn't have to write off the high number of non-paying customers. All we're talking about is shifting the money around. They money still has to come from someone. That someone is still me. This time it's in the form of higher taxes, not higher medical bills. Only now, a normally paying customer will have no greater access to coverage (think transplants) than the non-payers.

I guess it all boils down to the disagreement we have that medical care is a RIGHT. Something that does not have to be earned. I do not believe this to be true.

As to your reference to your medical friends, it seems all four would have been worse off if they were compensated less. In order to make any decent money, all 4 would have had to work more to achieve the same results and all 4 seemed to be trying to work as hard as they could already. All the doctors I know are merely comfortable. Only moderately more so than me. The ones that I would term as rich are working 6 16 hour days a week to achieve this.