Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Dictating the languages that applications are allowed to be written in is awfully draconian. (No offense, Tom.)

It's something that I'm split on. I'll definitely agree it's draconian, and was posting it to point it out, not specifically defending it. But, on the other hand, this isn't really any different then requirements for other closed platforms. When you have a highly specialized platform, and want to present the best performance possible, it's the way to go.

*edit* Thinking long term here, forcing a specific development environment and language does allow Apple to change the underbelly of the devices if necessary without impacting much. Not sure if that is the specific reason here, but by ensuring all apps follow a certain rule, it's much easier to make a future iPad using an Intel processor compared to the current ARM chips. The exact bounds of what the emulation/translation layer need to do are known. But if other compilers are generating code, that becomes much harder.

Seems I am defending it now. Oh well. Just trying to understand the possible motivations here.

Edited by drakino (08/04/2010 20:34)