You don't need HTML5 to replace a large amount of Flash being used today. Simple HTML4, XHTML 1 and CSS can cover much of it. Javascript will cover more.

You want examples of what Adobe did? Use Google and find them. Adobe struck first.

Do you think for a second that Adobe didn't know Apple didn't want cross-developed apps on their app store? Adobe knew long before they ever tested Flash-anything on the iPhone that Apple wasn't going to ship it. They knew why Apple wasn't going to ship it. Apple and Adobe talk a lot. Adobe took it public to try and swing public favor in their own direction, trying to shame or otherwise push Apple.

I'm not trying to defend Apple's licensing agreement, I've already stated that the biggest motivator (and reason for maintaining this level of control) is MONEY. Talking about anything else, including sinister plots, jealousy or contempt for Adobe, etc. is just a complete waste of time. It's pure fantasy.

By the way, why hasn't Adobe release any version of Flash for any other mobile platform? Is Apple cock-blocking them there too? Why haven't they released a version of Flash for Mac OS (or Windows for that matter) that doesn't completely suck? Why can't they standardize the UI, including keyboard control between the apps that make up their Creative Suite? I mean, the apps have been shipping together in a bundle for over 6 years and it's still impossible to use them together seamlessly.

No developer is allowed to distribute ubiquitous system-level software for the iPhone. Adobe should get a pass on this? You have to know that if it was tied specifically to the browser the next complaint would be why other apps can't access it. They've had three years to release something stand-alone and instead they've done nothing. They've had three years to show Apple Flash running on another mobile platform. Instead... Nothing.

Apple is not the shiny example of the most moral or ethical company in the world, but Adobe isn't exactly blemish free either. Everything they've got has come through acquisition. And in many cases, the technologies were those they were trying to kill at one time (Flash being the most recent example).

Here, read this, it's decent: http://www.devwhy.com/blog/2010/4/12/its-all-about-the-framework.html

Originally Posted By: DWallach
Flash is omnipresent in certain categories of products

I steer clear of sites that rely on Flash. They're generally shite. The exact same story repeated - the same sites that likely required IE 4,5 and then 6 at one point in time.

If I were in an influential position at Apple, I would make sure the next version of Mac OS leaves out Flash by default as well. People would always be able to install it of course.

On a side note, looks like Palm is up for sale. Since their OS is completely browser-powered from a UI stand point, Adobe should just snap them up and release their own handsets where Flash is front and center. And the phones have 30 minutes of run time.