Originally Posted By: taym
]
I don't see the logic of your above statement.

The logic is that people will compare features of similar products when making purchasing decisions. No one is going to see missing Flash as a negative against the iPhone and a plus for another handset. The point is moot in that regard. We're not talking about wanting non-existing products.

Quote:

the point we are discussing here is that iPhone could have had it, but this oportunity for consumers is missed

But it could not have had it. The iPhone does not have any third party software pre-installed. Apple controls the whole software stack. So, unless Adobe were to open source the whole of Flash or give or sell Flash to Apple, there was no way it was ever going to be on the iPhone. So I suppose there is that slim fantasy-level chance. But I consider that a "no" because it's not at all realistic.

While some people may have considered it an "opportunity," some would have considered it a negative. Imagine wasting even more bandwidth while surfing to view mostly ads... That's what the majority of Flash content is, especially on the sites you'd want to visit with a small screened device. So there are people on both sides, keep that in mind.

The bottom line is clearly that Flash is not a deciding factor in the purchase decisions of consumers and is not holding back the sales of anyone's handset products. Look at the sales rates and numbers.

Quote:
- and more importantly, the oportunity of having similar (possibly better) technology on it

I'm not sure what this has to do with Flash. The browser on the iPhone is already one of the best, if not the best mobile browsers available and includes the same (or at least very similar) HTML5 and CSS support as the desktop version of Safari, along with a lean and fast Javascript interpreter.

Quote:

Whether or not it is for you a non-issue is subjective and I fully respect it

But you misunderstand. My statement is completely objective. I don't care to factor in my own personal wishes into the observation. I'm looking at what the market is saying. And the market is saying that it doesn't care about Flash. The only noise about Flash is in tech blogs and techy forums. Some of it spills into mainstream media as an anecdote but nothing more. Look at all the sites transferring their content delivery away from Flash - why? Because the iPhone platform is building significant momentum and installation footprint that it matters to those sites to be able to reach that audience.

Quote:
but remains irrelevant to those who have other needs from their portable devices and could have benefited from the "banned" technology.

I'm not arguing that some people would not like Flash or may find use and benefits for it. I'm just saying that it has not made a difference to the product's acceptance and the platform's take-up (iPhone, iPod and now iPad).

The vast majority of people have spoken with their wallets. The iPlatform without Flash is a hit.