Taym, for the most part I do agree with you.

I'd never argue that you shouldn't want Flash or anything else on the iPhone or any other product. Your desires aren't "wrong." I simply stated that the lack of Flash was not holding back the iPhone nor is it holding back the iPad. In the grand scheme of things, Flash is but a small element of existing web sites, web browsing is a small part of these devices and compared to the whole of the potential of the iPhone and iPad, Flash is but a microscopic portion of what the device can/could/will do for the most part.

There will always be a few people that would use a device like the iPad to exclusively browse a Flash interface (such as a kiosk use) but really that's an extremely niche scenario. I've said before (many many times) that the iPad makes an amazing platform for vertically-oriented tools. But Apple have always been about the widest possible reach with their consumer products. It does mean they usually miss a number of specialized elements. It took a while to get Copy and Paste, now Multi-tasking. Both of those are infinitely more important than Flash IMO. I think to most other customers as well.

Apple pretty much single-handedly established the portable MP3 market. This doesn't really translate to a comparison with the lack of Flash on current products. The iPod was missing (and is still missing) certain features. None of those, like Flash on today's products, have held back its success as a product.

YouTube and other sites are viewable on the iPhone and iPad. Such sites are more usable on these devices than other handsets and similar products, what with specialized apps and all.

If you want a Windows 7 tablet, then go out and buy one now. Windows tablets have existed for years. That's not what the iPad is. Once you've used a device designed for touch input you will see how misguided and ill-conceived the idea of tablet products running a desktop OS are.

You're not alone here. There are plenty of people out there that want a full OS on a tablet device. Just not enough people to matter it seems. It's why that product segment has done atrociously over its lifetime. They've been trying for a long time too - what, 8 years now?

Microsoft understood "touch" as evidenced by their Surface project/product. But they've been unable or unwilling to do anything with it in the consumer space, excepting Zune to a small degree. Windows has been holding Microsoft back and the Windows-everywhere mentality is what's set them up for the back-seat position (in terms of innovation especially) in the 21st century.