Originally Posted By: Dignan
- I really like that it's a combination sensor. To combine heat, light, and motion into one sensor alone is pretty impressive. I know the price seems pretty steep, but I haven't seen a sensor that does those three things alone for less than $75, and this is also a smoke/CO sensor, which doesn't exist for any other HA systems for some reason.

Clearly, they're doing a lot of their engineering with an eye toward the future. The original Nest thermostat had an 802.15.4 antenna, and it was unused. Now, it's used to integrate with these smoke detectors.

Quote:
- I still don't think the "learning" feature would be worth anything for me, as my schedule is completely unpredictable.

By itself, I agree. Combined with a truly viable auto-away system, however, and it starts getting interesting. If these smoke detectors have a good idea that you're gone, then the thermostat can respond.

Quote:
Like I keep saying, I have no idea who these Control4 people are, or how they fit into what Nest is doing. That's a big deal for me, because the most important part of HA for me is lighting control, and I don't know how Nest plans to work that into their system.

I'll be curious to see if other HA vendors start supporting the Nest APIs. I'll also be curious to see what Nest has planned next. The three obvious choices are door locks, light switches, and home alarm systems. All get away from their one-size-fits-all product strategy. There are tons of different lock designs, and there are a staggering diversity of different light switches, never mind that any attempt to really rethink light switches should also include rethinking the lights themselves, now that some lights can change color. Home alarm systems are probably the most likely next step. If you've got enough motion sensors around the house, then you don't really need window open / breakage sensors. All you need is a cellular outbound data path as well as some clever new way to figure out when to arm and disarm the alarm system. (Maybe integration with fancy new door locks?)