Originally Posted By: julf
I guess the question is if google/nest will follow and adopt the emerging industry standards or go their own way.

Given that it appears Tony has been told he can continue to run his own ship, I don't see them adopting anyone else's standard; the fact that there's little else convincing out there supports this position. Making their own though, is another thing.

In the Verge interview with nest's Matt (the one in the fire truck) he clearly hinted that they were working on integrating other devices into the nest "ecosystem" (hue bulbs were mentioned); this sounds like integration up at an API level like others are doing - Revolv, Zonoff, etc - vs direct device to device. Personally I think that's the best way to go anyway, because you stand a chance of building something that actually works with a decent number of devices.

...and yes, I got stock for my work. Very happy about how that worked out, which was a long way beyond my wildest dreams. Of course, if I'd joined I would have done a lot better, but then I wouldn't have had all this fun working on electric imp smile