Originally Posted By: tfabris
Originally Posted By: Dignan
someone has to do it, and why not Google?

Aye, there's the rub. Most of the negative press about the buyout is precisely in answer to that question.

Yes, I fully realize that. It's been impossible to miss because that's ALL that people are talking about with this. That's why I wanted to take a break from that privacy scare stuff to talk about how this could play out in some sort of positive way. I'm bored of the privacy scare stuff. Really, how much can we say about it? At some point people are just going to have to deal with the fact that the company got bought and it's done. Lets move on.

When I asked "why not Google," it was to ask who might be interested in creating something that addressed those concerns I raised earlier. Everyone is saying that the company that should have bought Nest was Apple. Yeah, like the product couldn't have gotten any more siloed that it already was.

Originally Posted By: altman
Originally Posted By: julf
I guess the question is if google/nest will follow and adopt the emerging industry standards or go their own way.

Given that it appears Tony has been told he can continue to run his own ship, I don't see them adopting anyone else's standard; the fact that there's little else convincing out there supports this position. Making their own though, is another thing.

In the Verge interview with nest's Matt (the one in the fire truck) he clearly hinted that they were working on integrating other devices into the nest "ecosystem" (hue bulbs were mentioned); this sounds like integration up at an API level like others are doing - Revolv, Zonoff, etc - vs direct device to device. Personally I think that's the best way to go anyway, because you stand a chance of building something that actually works with a decent number of devices.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Revolv isn't working with an API. They're basically hoping that Hue, Nest, and the others, don't break their product. It's a bit of a crap shoot.

I should have clarified this point, too. When I said there should be a standard, I should have said that I'd be fine if that standard was basically cobbling together a bunch of APIs from the various companies. But it didn't seem like these guys were that interested in doing that. And Nest joining Hue didn't excite me because that's still extremely limited.

Revolv has the right idea, but it still has very limited support. I've checked, and most of my ZWave modules and switches are not supported by their product, not to mention that they don't even have an Android app yet. Just because they say they support ZWave doesn't mean it's anywhere near FULL support.