Well, it looks like Nest is finally giving me the good news I've been hoping for (and complaining about incessantly) and released their API.

This is a good step towards making it usable with other systems. Naturally, the first thing I did was head to the automation forum I frequent and see what the reaction was there. The folks on those forums have been working for a while on integrating Nest with the Vera controller I use. They seem pleased that the API has been announced, though they also seem displeased about a few omissions:

Quote:
On my quick perusal of the new spec, the API does not include thermostat battery_level or current running equipment state (heater_state, ac_state or fan_state -- however is_using_emergency_heat seems to mean the current running state of emergency heat in heat pump systems). It also rounds ambient and current setpoint temperatures to whole degrees (F) or half degrees (C), instead of exposing the full known precision. There is no ability to turn the fan on and off, or to set the periodic fan interval (fan_timer_timeout is read-only and would not be how to set the interval anyway). The structure element does not expose the full location details (street_address, location, postal_code -- if the user authorizes the plugin to know this information, it ought to be able to retrieve it).

I may be reading the spec incorrectly or too hurriedly, and my list above may be incomplete as to things the plugin ought to be able to know and do.

I still think there's enough in the API to make this useful, though.