By the way, I want to address one more thing about the Nest: it just doesn't work for everyone.

We've talked about this before. To sum up: I have a completely erratic schedule and never leave or return at the same time. When I am home I'm the only one there, and I spend most of the day in front of a computer. Lastly, my thermostat is in the least busy area of the house (the dining room, where nobody ever walks through).

This means that the Nest isn't a choice for me, and at best the only way I could use it would mean I'd have to buy at least one Nest Protect for my office to show it I was home.

That's a PITA. You know what's easy? Tapping a single button when I leave, and another one when I come back. Actually, I have an NFC tag outside my home that adjusts the temperatures for away mode. I have another tag in my car that I tap when I'm heading home so it can set comfortable temps. This way my thermostat is immediately stopping (I'm not wasting time ramping it down), I have precise control over my home/away schedule, and - most importantly - every other part of my automated home is controlled at the same time. That tag outside my house turns off all the lights and makes certain the door is locked, for example.

I'm glad you voted with your money and waited for the Nest. In the meantime, I was enjoying years of having a home full of lights I could control from my couch as easily as I could from Europe. If I'd waited for a fancy thermostat, I'd still be waiting on those lights.

*edit*
BTW, I'm not sure what moving around had to do with waiting for the Nest. Every other thermostat that integrates with home automation wires in exactly like a Nest. If anything, the Nest is a more difficult thermostat to swap into a rental property due to its shape...

Edited by Dignan (22/01/2014 04:04)